Sometimes, the pace of modern life barely gives us time to stop and rest. It can make getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis seem like a dream.
Good sleep improves your brain performance, mood, and health.
We here at Des Kelly Interiors have invested a lot of time, training and understanding of all things sleep, to be able to give this knowledge to our customers and help them chose a bed and mattress that suits their needs and ultimately give them a better night’s sleep.
We have recently opened our new store in Westend Retail Park, Blanchardstown, and carefully designed the store to give a better shopping experience with a dedicated Sleep Zone and unique Pillow Bar, with highly trained sleep experts on hand, to help you get a better sleep experience.
There is more to a good sleep than just the hours spent in bed. There are 3 major things to keep in mind to getting a better sleep, one is how much sleep you get, another is sleep quality (uninterrupted) and lastly a consistent sleep schedule.
If we understand the reason why we need sleep, we will realize the true importance of it.
Sleeping is not just “down time” to rest your brain, as your brain is still actually working while you sleep. For example, sleep helps prepare your brain to learn, remember and create.
There are many things you can do to improve your sleep such as
- Invest in a good quality mattress. We have carefully selected our range of mattresses in store that meets the needs of everyone in terms of quality, support, value, and their budget.
- Invest in a good supporting pillow. Your pillow should support your neck and upper back when resting and provide a better level of comfort to enable you to fully rest.
- We become more sensitive to light as the day goes on, avoid bright white lights and swap lighting to softer orange tones, and keep the light in a low position in your room. We have a huge range of lamps in store, that help create the right lighting atmosphere in your room. When your eyes are exposed to natural or artificial light, it sends signals to your brain to determine whether it is day or night. As natural light disappears in the evening, the body will release melatonin, a hormone that induces drowsiness. When the sun rises in the morning, the body will release a hormone known as cortisol that promotes energy and alertness. So, it is extremely important to be aware of the lighting you are exposed to before your bedtime routine.
- Shortly after waking, try get outside into natural light. This will help with your cortisol activation response and acts as an anchor for your sleep.
- Any form of physical activity will help and improve your sleep quality. Find something you enjoy, a walk in the park, a gym class, yoga, or playing with the kids in the garden, any movement at all throughout the day will help reduce wake episodes at night.
- Stimulants and Sedatives. Watch coffee and alcohol as both can disrupt sleep. Try cut out caffeine after 1pm, this will help your overall bedtime routine.
- This is so important, go to bed at the same time, and get up at the same time. Sleep regularity really helps you fall asleep fast. It is all about creating habits throughout the day, knowing the importance of the end goal, a good night’s sleep.
- Sleep is largely dependent on your ability to create the right environment to initiate and maintain sleep quality. Create a haven in your room, consider a “screen ban” on televisions, computers, phones, and other electronic devices. Create a comfortable sleep environment ensuring you have the best mattress, pillows, duvets and sheets for your sleep preferences and body type. Our in-store sleep experts are dedicated to helping you create this. Unwind in the comfort of your room and try guided meditation which helps stop overthinking before bed and will help you relax after a busy day.
- Temperature is a key driver of sleep and melatonin. Ensuring you can keep your bedroom and bed cool will promote a restful sleep. We have carefully selected a range of mattresses that are specially designed to keep you cool at night. These cool gel ranges help maintain the optimum body temperature for quality sleep. Our exclusive range of Cool Gel mattresses contours and cushions the body for a greater level of comfort, relieving body pressure and optimising blood circulation. The Chirogel has a perfect cell structure for optimum breathability and humidity, keeping you cooler for longer, to experience a deeper more restful sleep. Our brand new exclusive Respa Grand Opulence mattress from the Wellness Collection has proven to be our best seller. This mattress combines the benefits of Vasso memory foam and Thermo-Cool Fabric for maximum comfort, breathability, and airflow. With the unique 2000 spring system and SleepFresh technology, this creates an ideal sleeping climate obtained using pro-biotic technology ensuring a fresh hygienic night’s sleep.
As best you can, try make sleep a priority. If you are having trouble sleeping, hearing how important it is can be frustrating but simple things can improve your sleep. Small everyday changes will become habits. Our sleep experts are on hand in store to help you invest in your sleep.
We look forward to welcoming you to our store, to help you get the best night’s sleep you deserve,
Director, Des Kelly Interiors LTD